Friday, December 22, 2006

Classic Erotica - Before & After Adult Toy Cleaner

Rating: 5/5
Impressions: Very convenient and simpler than using soap and water.
Price: $7 for 4 oz (spray), $10 for 8 oz (spray), $10 for 10 wipes from Wild in Secret

Toy cleaner is one of those things that many people look at and say, "Why do I need that? I already have soap," but while it's true that antibacterial soap (gentle antibacterial soap) and a spray formulated for use in sanitizing sex toys have the same ends, namely a clean, sanitary toy, that doesn't mean that the two are necessarily created equal.

Before & After Adult Toy Cleaner is a simple pump-action spray (which also comes in wipes, which I've yet to try) that you simply spray on, wipe off and then rinse off your toy before and after (hence the name) using your toy.

How is that any different than using antibacterial soap, you ask? Well, the difference isn't a major one, that's true. They both involve water and rinsing, but Before & After makes the job a bit simpler and a bit less involved than it is with good old soap and water.

Normally, I take my toys in the shower with me after I use them, and wash them with antibacterial hand soap (mainly because it's a pain to try to wash them in our bathroom sink, which is surrounded by an obstacle course full of bottles, toothbrushes and other things essential to personal hygeine...and some things that aren't, like a knock-off Zippo lighter in spite of the fact that no one in our house smokes; why it's there, I have no idea, but it seems to have grown roots and hasn't moved in quite a while), but I'm always up for anything that will simplify my life, as long as it doesn't mean sacrificing quality or effectiveness to do it.

So, quasi-scientist that I am, I ran my brand new bottle of Before & After spray through its paces to see how it performed compared to my tried and true method of washing my toys while showering. A titanium vibrator (my Lynx), a Fun Factory silicone dildo (Magnum) and a pyrex dildo (ye olde Crystal Pistol) were all slathered in Sliquid H2O, played with a bit to really ensure that the test was realistic (it's all for science, folks - it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it) and then sprayed, wiped and rinsed per the spray's instructions.

And the verdict? It passed the test with flying colors. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical about whether Before & After would really be an improvement over washing my toys with antibacterial soap and water, but I admit, I'm impressed. The spray seemed to almost foam up a teeny tiny little bit when it hit the toys and it wiped off easily, taking everything with it. A quick rinse to get off the last of the residue and my toys were clean as a whistle and without any real lingering scent from the fragrance in the spray (something I worried about since I hate my toys smelling like the perfume in cleaning products).

While I'm sure that I'll still take my toys in the shower from time to time if I'm getting in there anyway, Before & After is going to have a place on my already overcrowded sink (or maybe I'll put it somewhere else and just bring it out when I need it - what a novel idea!) from now on.

My only concern is that I have to make sure that I use a very clean towel when I wipe the spray off my toys so that I'm not reintroducing any dirt or bacteria that might be on the towel, something that's not normally a concern with my usual cleaning method, as I hand wash them and let them air dry.

I also wonder how long an appropriate time period for leaving the spray on is, as the packaging doesn't actually say. I counted to 10 when I used it this time, but I may be over or under-doing it.

No comments: