Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Sinner or Saint Field Guide to Lubes - Pt. 1

With all the talk about sex toys, I think it may be about time to review another staple: lube. Personally, I only use lube for anal sex/play or for my silicone dildos (which need a bit more slip to be comfortable most of the time). But, that being said, there are a lot of lubes out there and while I haven't tried all (or even most) of them, I figure it's about time that I gave a quick blow by blow on the ones I have tried (I plan on trying a handful of other lubes, so look for part 2 of this guide in the future).

There are a few basic but important things to keep in mind when picking a lube:


  1. Silicone-based lubes (Pjur Bodyglide, etc.) should not be used with silicone toys. The silicone in the lube and the silicone in the toy will interact and you won't be happy with the results.
  2. Oil-based lubes (which are thankfully rare these days) should not be used with condoms under any circumstances as they degrade latex and make the condom ineffective. Oil-based lubes can also create breeding grounds for bacteria if used for vaginal or anal sex. Their only use should be for male masturbation if they're going to be used at all.
  3. The form of lube you prefer (silicone-based, water-based or a mixture of the two) is going to vary according to your personal preferences as well as according to what you're doing with the lube (i.e. a thinner lube is generally better for vaginal sex while a thicker lube is generally better for anal sex, but ultimately, it comes down to what you prefer).
  4. Silicone-based lubes don't dry out like water-based lubes and have an oily, slippery texture. They can also be used in and around water without washing off, so if you're into getting it on in a pool or hot tub or any other aquatic place, these are your best bet. They are, however, harder to wash off than water-based lubes, but wiping off the excess and washing with soap and water should take care of any residue. While they can't be used with silicone toys, they can be used with condoms without a problem.
  5. Water-based lubes tend to wear off quicker and become tacky to the touch (that's not always the case, but it does tend to happen - it's one of the downfalls of water-based lubes) but they don't have the oily feel that silicone-based lubes have. They're more like a watery gel than an oil. Water-based lubes can be used with any toy on the market as well as with condoms without complications.
  6. Lubes containing glycerin may cause yeast infections in women or exacerbate existing yeast infections. The research on the issue is contradictory, but if you're prone to yeast infections you may want to avoid lubes containing glycerin just for peace of mind.


Name: Astroglide Personal Lubricant
Price: $7.49 for 2.5 oz from Drugstore.com, $8.10 for 2.5 oz from Wild in Secret
Base: Water-based
Pros: Can be used with silicone toys; very slippery; not expensive
Cons: Contains glycerine; a bit too slippery for my tastes, except when it comes to use with silicone toys
Impressions: Astroglide is one of those lubes that I both love and dislike at the same time. It's excellent for when you want a very slippery lube and works beautifully with silicone toys, but I actually find it to be a bit too slippery for anal sex since it doesn't leave any friction at all. Some people would certainly consider that a plus, but for me it's not necessarily a good thing.
Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 15, Methylparaben, Propylparaben
Rating: 4/5

Name: Emerita OH Warming Lube
Price: $8.99 for 2 oz from Drugstore.com
Base: Water-based
Pros: Can be used with silicone toys; no animal products or animal testing; paraben-free (parabens may cause allergic reactions in some people and they may be linked to health side effects - it's all up to what you feel comfortable with right at the moment since there's no conclusive evidence of it's safety or danger); subtle warming effect that enhances intimacy
Cons: Contains glycerin; some people may be sensitive to the cassia (cinnamon bark) extract; I couldn't use it for anal sex due to the burning of doom
Impressions: I was a bit wary of using this particular lube because cinnamon often makes my skin very unhappy (red welts from using perfume oil containing cinnamon bark), but I'm a glutton for punishment so I tried it in the name of science sex toy reviewing and I have to say I'm very glad I did. The warming sensation OH produces is subtle and very pleasant, not like the warming effect of some other lubes I've tried. It added to the pleasure of sex rather than screaming "Hey! Look at me! I'm warming up your unmentionables! Whoo, burny burny!" The texture of this one is great, too. Not too thick, not too thin and it didn't seem to wear out. I'll definitely be buying more of this one. My only complaint is that I couldn't use it for anal sex because that apparently pushes my body's tolerance for cinnamon bark a bit too far: it burned, but not so bad that I was in agony; it was just unpleasant.
Ingredients: Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Cinnamomum Cassia Bark Extract (cinnamon), Honey, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Lactic Acid
Rating: 4.5/5

Name: K-Y Ultra Gel
Price: $22.99 from Amazon.com
Base: Water-based
Pros: Can be used with silicone toys; not too thick, not too thin
Cons: Possibly discontinued; tends to get sticky and needs reapplication
Impressions: There are people out there who aren't fans of KY, but I'm not one of them. At least not when it comes to their Ultra Gel formula (which I've heard is discontinued, but I haven't confirmed that yet - if it is, I'm stocking up) - I can't speak for their other products since I haven't tried them. This is my favorite all-around lube. The bottle lasts forever (it's about 5 oz) and it's perfect for every situation that calls for a lube. Ultra Gel does tend to get a bit tacky after a while and has a tendency to dry out somewhat, but the texture makes up for it in my book. Ultra Gel isn't as thin as Astroglide or as thick as some of the heavier lubes on the market - it's a happy medium. Sort of a watery gel that strikes the right balance between slip and friction.
Ingredients: Purified Water, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Polysorbate 60, Natrosol 250, Benzoic Acid, Methylparaben, Vitamin E
Rating: 4.5/5

Name: Empowered Products Pink Hypoallergenic Lube
Price: $24.95 for 4 oz from Drugstore.com
Base: Silicone-based
Pros: Hypoallergenic; skin-softening; great texture; a little goes a long way; very slippery
Cons: Can't be used with silicone toys; a bit on the expensive side; wore out quicker than normal for us
Impressions: I really like this one. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it has aloe vera and vitamin E in it (to pamper your girly bits) and it has a light texture that's not too oily. It actually feels like it belongs on your skin rather than being a coating on top of it. It's also hypoallergenic, which is excellent news for women (and men) with allergies to the components that most lubes contain. I suppose that this particular lube would be considered a luxury, but if you have sensitive skin, Pink is the way to go. My only real complaint when it comes to this particular lube is that it actually wore off for us rather quickly (we used it for vaginal intercourse for the testing process). I'm not sure if that's because it has ingredients that sink into the skin rather than just silicones like Bodyglide, but reapplication was a necessity on this one.
Ingredients: Dimethicone, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Demethiconol, Cyclomethicone
Rating: 3.5/5

Name: Pjur Eros Original Bodyglide
Price: $18.79 for 100mL/3.4 oz from Drugstore.com, $17.10 for 100mL from JT's Stockroom
Base: Silicone-based
Pros:No animal products or animal testing; great texture
Cons: Can't be used with silicone toys; wore off quickly for us
Impressions: I'm not sure what it is about my husband and silicone lubes, but his skin seems to eat them. It's fascinating, actually, although slightly irritating as it means reapplication and/or using far more lube than should be required. And so it was that while Bodyglide felt wonderful (for the very short time that it lasted for him), it was gone in a very short while. That being said, I'm sure that's not true for everyone, so don't let that bias you against Bodyglide. The texture of this particular lube is great and it's a perfect example of why silicone lube is so much more appealing texture-wise (to me and my husband, it's a personal preference issue). It goes on and feels like silk rather than a sticky, gloopy coating and it's slippery in a way that's entirely different than water-based lube. The best way that I can explain it is that where water-based lube slips like ice against ice, silicone-based lube slips like a hand against a sheet of pure silk charmeuse. It's luxurious feeling and I'm finding that I prefer it to the feel of water-based lubes.
Ingredients: Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Cyclomethicone
Rating: 3.5/5

No comments: