Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Hitachi Magic Wand

Rating: 3.5/5
Impressions: Call me a heretic, but I'm just not in love with it.
Price: $49 from Wild in Secret, $54 from JT's Stockroom

I know I've mentioned many a time that I'm a girl who loves powertools. The harder it vibrates the better I like it. So the Hitachi Magic Wand - the gold standard of strong vibrators among women the world over, apparently - should be the perfect toy for me, right? Yes and no.

While the Magic Wand is undoubtedly quite strong (but not so strong that I can't put it directly on my clit even without any warming up - in spite of many women saying that they have to put a blanket or towel between them and the Wand), requires no batteries and never flags just as you're getting to the good part (which has happened to me many a time with battery operated vibrators), it just hasn't really done it for me.

I'm sure that I'm just branded myself as a heretic among women the world over (although I like to think there are more women like me out there and that I'm not just a sexual freak), but the fact of the matter is that in spite of the Wand's merits, my reaction to it is best summarized as "meh."

Let me put it this way. You know how it is when you're playing with a toy and it's just not working and you keep at it and keep at it and keep at it until all you want to do is have an orgasm so you'll be done? And then when it finally happens there's not much real pleasure in it, it's just a sort of lackluster wave of pleasure nowhere near the pleasure you should get from it (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron, lackluster pleasure, but it's true)? That's what the Wand is like for me.

While the vibrations are very strong (but not painful in the slightest, at least not for someone with my tolerance levels at any rate) and it's consistent and convenient (no batteries is always a good thing and the cord is plenty long) there's just something missing from this one.

I honestly don't know what it is about the Wand that doesn't quite do it for me. Maybe it's the generalized sensation rather than a targeted vibration directly on my clit (I'll try the attachments to be sure) or maybe it's the lack of the tease...the Wand is what it is. There's not much in the way of building sensations or varying feeling aside from changing the setttings from high to low to be had. The Wand is utilitarian in the extreme: it's not sexy, it's not pleasing to the eye, and it's not terribly good feeling the way the Sinnflut's soft but firm silicone body is.

I'm definitely not the sort of girl who usually cares about whether a sex toy is attractive as far as my enjoyment of the sensations it makes is concerned. Sure, I enjoy a beautiful toy, but if it feels good that's what really matters, so the chances that the "meh" factor is all in my head are slim to none.

The fact of the matter is that the Wand doesn't produce quite the kind of sensation I'm looking for. It's strong enough, to be sure, which is fantastic considering how many toys fall short in that area, and it's about as easy to use as they come, but the sensation just isn't as erotic or arousing as the feeling of my Sinnflut or even the vibrations of the nameless metallic blue splatter-painted $2 vibrator that my husband got me (and that, amazingly, has held its own against the likes of the Layaspot and the Nea).

Simply put, the Wand works, but so far it's not satisfying. I don't dislike it, but there are toys I much prefer the sensation of and I have a feeling that the Wand is going to be one of those toys I keep on the side for when nothing else is working or when I want something hard, simple and to the point...or, I suppose, when someone's in need of a back massage (although my husband and I agree that it just feels like someone vibrating your back, not like the pleasure of a lot of other back massagers we've tried).

Heretical? Maybe, but I'm just calling them as I see them. The Wand has its place in my collection, but I just can't get excited about it the way I can my Sinnflut (which, while undeniably less intense vibration-wise than the Wand, produces a more erotic sensation).

(Buy a Magic Wand from Wild in Secret or JT's Stockroom)

No comments: