Monday, November 27, 2006

Elemental Pleasures - Le Lynx Deluxe Kit

Rating: 5/5
Impressions:
Heaven in a retro futuristic titanium shell.
Price:
$595 from manufacturer, $349 from JT's Stockroom, £249.99 from Love Honey UK (deluxe), £159.99 from Love Honey UK (single)
























If the Jimmyjane Little Chroma is the vibrator of celebrities and supermodels, the Elemental Pleasures line of luxury vibes must be the choice of beautiful millionaire scientists and engineers.

These little babies are not only made from durable metal, they're made from about the nicest, most durable metals you can get, ranging from (relative to titanium, not relative to what you're used to paying for in your sex toys if you're anything less than a multi-millionaire) economical airplane grade aluminum (in anodized blue, magenta or - if you're buying the single tip model direct from the manufacturer - black) to heavy, solid, durable stainless steel to top-of-the-line titanium.

When choosing my vibe from EP's three metals, I would have gone with the aluminum model (in spite of preferring silver to the colors they offer, although black is quite nifty...a ninja vibrator!) although I prefer stainless steel in my non-vibrating toys (but stainless steel dampens the vibrations somewhat and I prefer my vibrators to be strong) but I found the titanium single tip model - Le Lynx - available online for about $100 more than for the aluminum and since I believe in quality, I had to go for it. When you're spending $250+ to begin with, you might as well spend a bit more and get the best you can get, that's what I've always said. Of course, I'm sure that doesn't necessarily stand true if you're on a tight budget and genuinely can't afford another $100 on top of the $250+ you're already plunking down.

But, thanks to a stroke of good fortune, I ended up with the Deluxe Kit (with the extra low speed and medium speed tips) for the price of the Single Kit that I ordered (thank you, Love Honey!) - about $350 after shipping from the UK (about $305 before shipping) - and so I'm feeling especially decadent and spoiled right now.

I'll be the first to admit that the idea of having a sex toy created by aerospace engineers appeals to me on some sort of weird sciencey level (I'm a science nerd, I'll admit it), but that alone doesn't explain my fascination with this particular vibrator. These things are manufactured from a solid bar of aluminum, stainless steel or titanium and remind me of some sort of sex toy from Lost in Space - very sort of retro futuristic - and they take the concept of a vibrator (a simple concept, but one with apparently limitless possibilities - even when done in a variation of the traditional vibrator shape) to a whole new level. I'm particularly enamored with is the fact that the motor is in the very tip of the vibrator, allowing for a stronger pinpointed vibration (something that always gets a thumbs up from me) and with the refurbishment plan the manufacturer offers, which means that if my vibe needs some TLC down the road, I can send it in for a tune-up for a reasonable price.

Le Lynx is a model of simplicity in terms of operation. The three tips (or one tip if you get the Single Kit), screw onto the body of the vibrator (one at a time, of course), making a watertight seal through the use of an o-ring at the base of the threads on the body, with the last 1/2 turn or so turning the vibrator on and off. To turn it on, you simply screw the tip all the way in and to turn it off, you unscrew it about 1/2 turn (although mine feels like more), until it stops vibrating. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

While I'd have to say that the vibration in the high speed tip is probably on par with the Fun Factory Sinnflut (maybe a bit stronger) when it comes to strength, the frequency of the vibration in this little marvel is incredible and quite unique, at least as far as my experience goes. While a lot of vibrators tend to fall in the higher frequency range, Le Lynx (I can't bring myself to say "the Le Lynx" - a bit redundant, don't you think?) has an almost indescribable low frequency purr. Think the difference between a weedwhacker (and honestly, that's what a lot of my vibrators have sounded like - both in terms of sheer volume and in terms of the high pitched frequency of the sound they made) and a big cat - say a lion or a tiger - purring and you'll get the general idea.

My husband couldn't tell the difference when I held Le Lynx against his balls (but then I tend to be the more sensitive of the two of us when it comes to things like that), but to me the difference between it and all the other toys I own was extremely noticeable (and extremely pleasurable). Rather than feeling like a high-pitched, fast buzzing highly localized against my clit, Le Lynx had the low rumble of a lion's purr and managed to seem to spread through my entire body in the most erotic way.

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I went straight for the high speed tip without a moment's hesitation because I like my vibrators intense, but since I have the other tips, I had to give them a short test run to see what they're all about and the low and medium tips are actually very commendable in terms of vibration frequency in the same way that the high is, only less strong. Incidentally, they also work quite well for massaging achy feet and shoulders, should you be inclined to get more use out of your luxury purchase.

The sensation Le Lynx provides is hard to describe, but the best thing I can come up with is that the whole experience of using this beauty is like a full-body tantric orgasm (for me, anyway - your mileage may vary, of course). That's a big statement to make, especially when you're someone like me who's got a high tolerance for vibration and generally wants something super strong to get the job done, I know, but that's the only way I can get close to describing the feeling that this miracle produces. I've never experienced anything like this in a vibrator before. It feels so organic somehow, not like the sensation is being caused by a machined bar of titanium and batteries.

It's rare for me to enjoy the entire process of masturbation as much as I do with Le Lynx and I generally enjoy it quite a bit* with a good strong vibrator.

To use another of my amazing analogies, if the normal process of masturbation with a vibrator on my clit is like a race I'm running to get to the prize (it feels good, but the process isn't nearly as enjoyable as the final result), using Le Lynx was like a symphony. The entire buildup to the orgasm was very nearly as good as the orgasm itself and not because the orgasm was average. Simply put, the entire process felt like that blissful moment right before you finally go over the edge - so good that you almost don't want it to end.

The only real downfall in this otherwise perfect creation (aside from the price, which, while understandable considering the materials and work put into it, is steep to say the least) is that it needs batteries. Not AA's or AAA's either. It takes CR123's, a digital camera battery. They do hold more of a charge than AA's do, but they're also a bit harder to get (not hard, but harder than AA's) and a bit more expensive. I plan on getting rechargeable ones for my Lynx, but I'd prefer if it either came with rechargeable batteries and a charger (to prevent my having to buy it separately) or or that the battery was somehow built in and rechargeable like in the Sinnflut, although that would limit the user's ability to sterilize their toy since boiling would be out of the question.


If you're planning on getting your own Le Lynx, I would highly recommend getting it from Love Honey UK (top notch customer service, discounted products and I got my order faster than I've gotten many things shipped within the US). The only con is that the shipping can be high if you're in North America (although if you have the money you could buy a few more things to make up for it since shipping is a flat rate to the US). But, even with shipping from the UK, you'll still get your Lynx at significantly less than the price you'd pay buying directly from the manufacturer.

Keeping that in mind, if you're strapped for cash but have to have a Lynx of your own and can't afford the shipping from the UK, JT's Stockroom has the Deluxe Kit at a nice discount.

(Buy Le Lynx from Love Honey UK)

(Buy Le Lynx from JT's Stockroom)

* Perhaps that's a bit of an understatement

Addendum: For anyone who wants to use rechargeable batteries in their Lynx, I've found that while every brand of non-rechargeable CR123 battery fits in the chamber, finding rechargeable batteries that fit can be trickier because of the cable that runs down the side of the battery under the shrink wrapping and because of the snug fit of the batteries inside the chamber. I've only tried 2 brands of rechargeables in mine, but I've found that Amstron rechargeable CR123's (made to replace the Sanyo batteries that come in the Lynx and the other EP models) fit perfectly. They are a bit on the expensive side ($19.95 each from BatteryStandard.com), but they'll pay for themselves fairly quickly and keep you from having to buy new batteries in the future.




No comments: