Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Leatherbeaten - The Blind Jockey

Rating: 5/5
Impressions: Hands down, the best blindfold I've ever used.
Price: $29.25 CAD from manufacturer, $29 from Wild in Secret

Let me start off by saying that I've owned my fair share of blindfolds in many, many styles, everything from your standard sleeping mask to specially designed bondage blindfolds and they've all fallen short of my needs and expectations. Until now.

The Blind Jockey caught my attention immediately because of its cupped design, which is intended to block out light and ensure that you won't be tempted (or able) to peek around the edges.

Now, I've tried blindfolds before that were supposed to achieve the same ends as The Blind Jockey and none have worked in spite of their being more "high tech" than the Jockey. And therein lies the beauty of this blindfold: the makers of have come up with an extremely simple design (a traditionally shaped blindfold that's been snipped and sewn back together to create a cupped shape rather than the traditional flat style combined with a soft fleece lining that further blocks any light from coming in and a comfortable elastic band that holds the blindfold tight to the head) that works where all the other fussy, complicated blindfolds I've tried have failed.

The first thing I noticed when I put on The Blind Jockey is that it fits my head like a glove. The heavy, adjustable elastic strap holds the blindfold snug without causing pain (unlike the punched leather strap on many other blindfolds I've tried) while the mask itself hugs the contours of my forehead, cheeks and nose so that I can't see even a hint of anything but darkness no matter how hard I try. Usually, blindfolds have one or two spots that will allow me to peek if I raise my eyebrows or move my nose, but not The Blind Jockey. I couldn't see a thing no matter how I contorted my face, trying to get around the complete blackout.

The second thing I noticed was that it was extremely comfortable and that I could leave my eyes open and move them around without anything irritating them and without worrying about the blindfold gapping and letting me see something (which is not what I want when I'm wearing a blindfold). I could easily see wearing this as a sleeping mask when its not being put to use for other bedroom activities. Bonus!

But the real test comes when a blindfold is really put through its paces: Will it stay in place even through the head-thrashing and movement that come with using this during sex or bondage play? The answer is a definitive yes. Even in the face of the most intense head-thrashing, The Blind Jockey stayed resolutely in place, effectively cutting off my vision and restricting me to a world of touch and sound. Now, if that's not erotic, I don't know what is.

When something works this well, looks are an afterthought, but I admit, when I first saw The Blind Jockey on the WIS website, I was worried that it would be big and unflattering (not that I expect a blindfold to be a fashion accessory, but I don't want to look like an idiot, either), but it turns out that I had nothing to worry about. It's actually quite a bit smaller than I'd imagined it being - roughly the size of a pair of those oh-so-popular retro chic aviator sunglasses - and far more flattering than I could have hoped for.

My only complaint (and it's not really that big of one) is that rather than setting behind my ears, the elastic strap on the Blind Jockey sits on the back of my ears, folding the tops down so that I must look like a goblin of some sort. But that's aesthetics. It's not painful, although I'm sure in the long, long-term it could do some damage to the cartilage by holding it in a folded position. But that would require a long (far longer than any normal person would be wearing this thing, so it's really a moot point) time wearing the blindfold and I have a feeling that it wouldn't be an issue at all for many people since everyone's head is shaped differently.

I'm also very glad that Leatherbeaten has switched from a sheerling lining to fleece as otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use this blindfold without having a face full of itching and a rash in the shape of a blindfold across my face like some sort of red, itchy racoon mask (wool allergies, don't ya know).

I do have to say, though, I would have pegged the main material of the blindfold as being faux leather rather than the real deal if the site didn't say otherwise because it doesn't smell or feel like genuine leather to me, but I trust WIS and Leatherbeaten, so I'm sure it's just me.

And so, dear reader, if you've used a blindfold before and been disappointed, then The Blind Jockey is the blindfold for you. I've yet to find a single fault with its construction and it works more effectively than any blindfold I've come across, in any price range.

And if you haven't used a blindfold before and are wondering whether it's for you, let me put it like this: even if you're not into the BDSM lifestyle, a blindfold can still have a place in your bedroom arsenal. Everything is new again when you don't see it coming and there's something infinitely erotic about having to trust your partner, not being able to see what he/she has planned for you. A little kink could do you good.

(Buy The Blind Jockey from Wild in Secret)

No comments: