Monday, February 5, 2007

Essential Creations - Body Wax Massage Candle

Rating: 4/5
Impressions: Perfect for spicing up a vanilla bedroom, but just as fun in a more kinky abode.
Price: $12 from Wild in Secret

The Body Wax Massage Candle falls into the category of what I like to call "non-threatening kink." It's not your typical vanilla bedroom diversion but it's also not hardcore kinky, either.

This candle is made with (non-threatening) bedroom adventure in mind, although I could honestly see it being used in a high-class spa somewhere...maybe one with a bit of an adventurous approach to pampering. This isn't an instrument of torture or a harrowing adventure in temperature play; it's a luxurious, sensual experience that just happens to involve (a low key version of) the tried-and-true kink staple of candle wax dripped onto bare skin.

Made from soy wax (which, incidentally is environmentally friendly, sustainable and supportive of American farmers), which melts but doesn't reach the skin-burning, pain-inducing temperature that parrafin candles are easily capable of reaching, this candle is ideal for those who want to try something a little different in the bedroom without venturing too far into the deep end of the sexual kink pool.

Honestly, I'm not sure why soy wax candles haven't made it into the lexicon of bedroom adventure gear before now...or maybe they have and I've just been woefully unaware of them. While I've played many times with candle wax and temperature play before (of a more advanced degree than this, partially by choice and partially because there really wasn't a happy medium available to me - it was either the crap shoot of store-bought, non-body usage intended candles or nothing), they've always been of the paraffin variety, which, I might add, can be dangerously inconsistent. I've had times where it felt no hotter than soy wax and left no marks and other times where it literally caused blisters where it hit my skin (we stopped after the first application, of course, but it still hurt - and not in a good way).

Soy wax (and, by extension, the Body Wax Massage Candle) takes the danger out of the experience of candle wax temperature play (which, while some people will argue takes a lot of the fun out of it, is a very important factor - safety is always extremely important when you're dealing with a situation where you could cause serious physical injury to yourself or someone else). It gets hot enough to melt and give that lovely warm sensation of properly cooled paraffin wax (something that needed to be achieved by holding the cande high enough in the air to ensure that it cooled on the way down before; soy wax, on the other hand, can be applied directly to the skin without having to let it cool first - you can actually dip your fingers in it and then massage it into your hands to soften them, incidentally) but never reaches the point where it causes burns on delicate skin.

While I, personally, am a masochist and enjoy pain in the right amounts and at the right times, I genuinely enjoyed playing with this candle. One of my complaints about paraffin candles was that I never knew whether it was going to be pleasantly warm (or hot but not so hot it actually burnt me) or scalding hot. It's never a pleasant surprise to be luxuriously relaxed, waiting for your lover to drip hot but not too hot wax on your naked body and then feel like you're being covered in molten lead. Really, I don't recommend it, even if you are into pain.

Using the Body Wax candle was...how do I put this...more relaxed and sensual temperature play than slightly dangerous, masochistic temperature play. The warm wax dripping onto my back and (recently caned and paddled) derriere was wonderfully relaxing, almost like a massage with warm, soft hands or being wrapped in flannel pajamas right out of the dryer (okay, so that's not exactly sexy or sensual, but I still love that feeling). While I'm sure there will be times when I really want something more intense in my temperature play, the Body Wax candle has definitely earned a place in our bedroom arsenal.

Incidentally, I chose my candle in the Nude (unscented) variety since I'm picky about scents (probably not a good thing considering that I actually make wax potpourri for a living currently and get exposed to a lot of scents that I don't particularly care for) and mine smelled like lavender, so I'm guessing that mine was mis-labeled by the manufacturer. That being said, the lavender scent was very relaxing (I was very tempted to fall asleep, between the lavender and the warm wax on my backside) and very natural, not synthetic at all.

(Buy a Body Wax Massage Candle from Wild in Secret)

No comments: