Tuesday, January 9, 2007

JT's Stockroom - Delrin Cane w/ Hardwood

Rating: 5/5
Impressions: Perfect for me, but if you have a lower pain tolerance you may want to look for a more forgiving cane.
Price: $72 for 24", $79 for 30" from JT's Stockroom

While I've tried my hand (or rather someone else's hand) at spanking and flogging in the past and enjoyed them quite a bit, I'd never tried or even thought about caning until I finally got around to reading The Story of O (a strange oversight for someone like me who's both a bookworm and a bondage enthusiast). But as soon as I read the descriptions of O's canings I knew I had to try it myself.

Now, if you're new to caning like me, be forewarned, there are a lot of different cane materials and styles out there. It's overwhelming to try to pick out a style and a material (Lexan, fiberglass, Delrin, rattan, bamboo, Teflon...) from all the choices available to you, especially if you don't know what the differences in materials would mean for you and your experience with the cane (incidentally, I'd recommend picking up a copy of The Toybag Guide to Canes and Caning first and reading up on the different materials). I did what I usually do when faced with too many choices and no idea what to pick (and it's not something I recommend that anyone else do, because it's hit-or-miss): I went with the one that grabbed my attention the most intensely (sometimes it's the prettiest one, sometimes it's the one that looks like it'll do what I want it to do the best and sometimes it's both...or another one altogether).

In this particular case, it was a combination of beauty (the cocobola wood handle is beautiful and has a shape that's ergonomically pleasing in the hand) and the fact that JT's says this cane "can provide a spectrum of sensations from tame to extreme," which is exactly what I wanted as a new canee (I can normally handle quite a bit of pain, but it's nice to have something that can be tame, too).

This time it was a hit. I love this cane. It's definitely not for the faint of heart unless you're going to be very gentle with it. Delrin is a hard plastic and it has very little flex, which means that it's more thuddy than stingy (although it leaves clear double-track welts like any other cane), and it can be intense. I've got a very tender black and blue butt now, thanks to my maiden voyage with this little beauty, and I'm loving it.

Granted, the amount of pain it's going to cause you depends on how hard it's being swung, the position you're in when the cane hits (lying down or standing perfectly straight are the least painful, bending over a bed or chair is more painful and bending over and grabbing your ankles or touching the floor is the most intense) and personal pain tolerance levels, but this thing can really pack a whallop if its used correctly. I'm sure that someone with a gentler hand could manage to make it far less intense by tapping fairly lightly, but it takes practice and trial and error to get your aim and swing strength at just the right point for the effect you want to achieve, more so than hand-spanking or spanking with a paddle.

So what does being caned feel like? If you've played paintpall, you know the feeling already, but if not, it's something like this: a thud on impact followed almost immediately by an harsh sting that builds to a hot, intense burning and then slowly fades to general tenderness when something touches the area that was caned. It's similar to spanking, but with a more localized, more intense feeling and a far more intense sting.

My husband prefers using a paddle or his hand to using the cane (on me - I'm the one on the receiving end of these things, obviously), but the cane (and this cane in particular) is always going to have a priority spot in my masochistic heart.

(Buy a Delrin Cane w/ Hardwood from JT's Stockroom)

No comments: