Monday, January 15, 2007

Scott Paul Designs - Half Moon Bit Gag

Rating: 4.5/5
Impressions: (Fairly) comfortable, stylish and functional. My favorite gag yet.
Price: $95 from manufacturer, $115 from JT's Stockroom

I, like many people, have TMJ and it makes opening my jaw wide and keeping it open painful at best. Unfortunately, that means that the only gags that are really usable for me are bit gags, which don't require my jaw to open wide or stay stretched the way a ball gag would. Unfortunately, bit gags also have a downside: it's extremely easy to talk around them, open your mouth around them and even spit them out of your mouth, not like a ball gag where it's very difficult to do anything around it (provided it fits properly).

So when I saw the Half Moon Bit Gag on JT's Stockroom I knew I wanted it. It was a bit gag, but a bit gag with a face binding to prevent the negatives that tend to go along with bit gags. And it was made from neoprene, not leather, which I hate putting in my mouth and always worry about marring or tearing with my teeth. It actually looked comfortable and it was sexy in that weird sort of bondage way. Scott Paul Designs products invariably seem to look contemporary, cosmopolitan...even avant garde, like something out of a contemporary art museum and this gag is no exception. The question was, would it live up to my expectations?

The Half Moon lives up to my expectations and more. The mouth bit is small enough to fit in even my small mouth without pain, it's padded enough to prevent pain from gripping a hard object but firm enough that it gives resistance when bitten, the strap is extremely comfortable and features a cushion in the back to prevent pain on the back of the head and the D-ring on the front of the gag swivels with pressure, but doesn't swing around in circles when it's not being manipulated (something that would have driven me crazy).

Even with my jaw issues, I can wear the Half Moon gag for extended periods (and indeed that's what it's designed for) without much (I'm not going to say that it's completely pain-free since even a small gag can cause my jaws pain after a certain amount of time, it's just the nature of the beast) pain. It fits securely even on my small neck/head and stays resolutely in place, even though a decent amount of head-thrashing.

Another unexpected advantage of the Half Moon gag is that the design of the gag allows me to breathe through my mouth even when it's cinched all the way down and my teeth are gripped tightly into the mouthpiece. That's probably not a big issue for most people, but I have asthma and issues with breathing through one side of my nose, so that's a major advantage for me. To be able to wear an effective gag and still breathe without trouble is a godsend.

It's a pricey gag, to be sure, but the quality is top-notch, the design is impeccable and it looks as though it's going to hold up for quite a while, even through extensive play.

(Buy a Half Moon Bit Gag from JT's Stockroom)

No comments: