Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Phallix Glass - Quadruple Scoop

Rating: 3/5 (vaginal), 4/5 (anal)
Impressions: Not for me when it comes to vaginal play, but as an anal toy, it's right up my (back) alley
Price: $143.99 from manufacturer, $143 from Wild in Secret

I've wanted a Quadruple Scoop since the moment I set eyes on it. Everything about it screamed my name, from the crystal clear pyrex to the blobby, beaded shape (like anal beads exposed to gamma radiation).

It was love at first sight but it was also way out of my price range for a sex toy that doesn't vibrate (I have to admit, I'm willing to pay more for a vibrator than I am for a dildo as a general rule...I guess it has something to do with the fact that it packs more bang for the buck, so to speak). Thanks to WIS, though, I've got my long-coveted Quadruple Scoop in my hot little hands. Mwa ha ha! But now the sixty-four thousand dollar question: Does it live up to my expectations?

Before I answer that question, let me talk a bit about the quality of this little gem.

Phallix Glass is, from what I hear, highly respected in the pyrex glass sex toy arena. They've earned a reputation as master artisans - a rare thing in the sex toy market, where most toys are mass-produced - and their skill shows. Seriously. I've owned pyrex toys before, but they look like they were made by trained monkeys compared to my Quadruple Scoop. Sure, it's a simple design...it's not dichroic or heavily textured or twisted into a mind-blowing shape, but the quality still shows. The glass is absolutely clear without even the tiniest of flaws and the piece just feels like a quality product.

It's hard to explain the difference between a cheap pyrex sex toy and a quality one, but when I hold the Quadruple Scoop in one hand and one of my old (cheap) pyrex dildos in the other, the difference is obvious. The Phallix piece is heavier, sturdier, smoother and clearer. I'm the type of person who is suspicious of blanket claims that "you get what you pay for," but in the world of sex toys that's often true. I can easily see why Phallix's pieces are so expensive, having had the pleasure of owning (and using) one. Yes, they're expensive and most likely not something I could justify buying for myself, but the quality shows.

I'm even impressed by the hot pink velvet bag that the Quadruple Scoop came swaddled in. I've had toys that came in velvet bags before, but the Phallix bag feels almost padded, even though (as far as I can tell) it's made of two layers of velvet with no padding in between. A nice touch, to be sure, especially compared to the cheap, thin bags that I've come across before. Phallix evidently knows how to make sure that you feel you're getting your money's worth.
Enough waxing poetic about the quality, though. As important as quality is, the dirty details of how it actually felt to use this little beauty is where the verdict lies. A toy can be gorgeous and extremely well made, but if it doesn't feel good, it's just so much eye candy.

I'll be the first to admit that I wanted the Quadruple Scoop for anal play and not for its "sensational vaginal stimulation" (more on that later). I love anal play and I'm picky about my anal toys. I love anal beads, but, more often than not, they're a bit too small for my tastes. And that is what lead me to my obsession with owning a Quadruple Scoop. As I mentioned before, the QS's design looks quite a bit like a short strand of anal beads that's been exposed to gamma radiation (à la The Incredible Hulk). It looked perfect - big enough to be satisfying without being so big that it would hurt. Normally I'd want something longer in a set of anal beads, but since the QS is made from pyrex, the shorter length is probably a blessing in disguise. Pyrex doesn't have even an iota of flexiblity and flexibilty is an absolute necessity if you're going to go shoving something more than maybe 8" (give or take) long up your derriere.

I did, however, in the name of science (and sex toy reviewing), give it a shot as a vaginal dildo with so-so results. I'm not really much of a fan of vaginal stimulation on its own and the bulbed shape of the QS felt rather strange to me. The biggest "scoop" was just the right size to offer some nice g-spot stimulation, but honestly, it wasn't doing much at all for me. That, however, is definitely going to be a case of "your mileage may vary." If you love vaginal stimulation and are into large texture (no small bumps or ribs, just large scale, smooth-transitions from one "scoop" to another), then the QS might very well be just the thing for you, but for me? Not so much.
As an anal toy, however, it lived up to my expectations 100%. I do have to say, though, that it might be a bit big for either (A) the anally inexperienced or (B) people who prefer something on the smaller side (as WIS points out, "putting it to anal use is recommended only for the experienced"). For me, though, it's perfect. The middle bulb is just a bit smaller than my beloved (large) nJoy Pure Plug, which is the perfect size for me while the other "scoops" aren't so small that they don't satisfy.

A little bit of good lube (a sample of Wet Platinum is included, but I haven't tried it yet as I've got lube coming out the wazoo, so to speak, and want to use some up before I go opening another container) - I went with Sliquid Silk - combined with pyrex's natural slickness means that the Quadruple Scoop slides right in without a fight. Unlike a completely straight, untextured dildo, however, the QS's "scoops" mix up the sensations it produces. Now, some people prefer a completely smooth ride when it comes to anal play, but I prefer something with bumps (hence my love affair with anal beads) - preferably big ones.

While I've got a couple of quibbles with the QS - (1) the first "scoop" has a fairly pronounced point to it that doesn't quite show up in WIS's picture, which had a tendency to stab me in the cervix during vaginal play and could slide and poke a bit too hard during anal play and (2) I'd prefer that there were a bit of space between the "scoops," more like a strand of anal beads - I'm thrilled with my new toy and lusting after a couple more Phallix pieces, now that I know the pleasure that is a artisan-crafted pyrex sex toy.

Now...I just need to win the lottery (or get a second job) so that I can afford a couple more.

(Buy a Quadruple Scoop from Wild in Secret)

No comments: